Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book 105 - The hand-me-down kid by Francine Pascal

The Hand-Me-Down-Kid
895 books to go!

I'm plowing through books lately, it doesn't help that they are all YA novels under 200 pages each and are very fast reads. This book is one of the works by Francine Pascal that isn't in her SVH, SV Kids, SV Twins, SVU or fearless series.

This book is about young Ari Jacobs who lives in Greenwich Village with her family. Ari is the youngest child and gets all of her sibling's hand me downs. She feels really bad about it. Ari is bullied by Rhona into borrowing her older sister's bike. When Ari brings the bike to Rhona it's stolen before Rhona gets to borrow it. Now Ari feels she has to hide the truth about how the bicycle was stolen. The police get involved and Ari's new friend Jane tries to help out a little bit.

I enjoyed this book, it was written quite a few years ago and Francine Pascal transported me to at least 25 years ago in Manhattan's Greenwich village. She also hit the characterization of Ari right on the nose. It was a change from the cheesy SVH drama I've been enjoying lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment