Monday, May 14, 2012

Book 185 The Man Who Quit Money by Mark Sundeen


The Man Who Quit Money
The Man Who Quit Money - Kindle Edition
815 books to go!

Summary:
This book is a biography of Daniel Shellabarger, now known as Daniel Suelo. In 2000 he deposited the last $30 he had into a phone booth and began to live life without money. He's survived by hunting, dumpster diving, the kindness of others and by taking shelter in a cave, house-sitting for free or accepting offers to stay overnight with friends or family. Suelo also writes a blog using blogger with access to the internet at public libraries.

Opinion:
This book is worth the read. It provides a bunch of useful factoids along with the details of Suelo's life before and after he quit money. Everything comes together and is extremely well written. For me personally this book has opened my eyes a little bit to things I've known I've been guilty of, perhaps this time I'll permanently change what I have to. I like shopping a bit too much, as a result I have a lot of items I don't really need, and I also don't really get to hold onto any money after I've paid my bills, paid for expenses such as gas and food, and then shopped a little. I do need to save money and get back on track with paying down my debt (since I've veered off that track recently). I have to learn to enjoy browsing in stores instead of going to them, seeing a few items I want and eagerly snatching them up. I need to pay off my debt and only using my credit cards if I can pay for an item in full - that way I'll just be using my credit cards to get reward points or coupons (if there is an option for that with the particular card I have). If Suelo can live without money, I definitely can live without shopping too much and using stuff I already have more then going out to buy new things. If I can save and become debt free - Shawn and I can enjoy better things in life, and when something comes up that I need money for hopefully I'll have the money to deal with it, if I've managed to save some instead of spending almost all of it.

Why I chose to read this:
Shawn actually posted about this guy on google +. I learned there was a book about him and checked it out from the library.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment