Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book 53-The Collected Plays of Edward Albee Vol. 1 1958-1965

Collected Plays of Edward Albee: 1958-1965
Collected Plays of Edward Albee: 1958-1965

947 books to go!

YES! This is my first book finished over my staycation! Kind of sad I didn't manage to finish it up yet and I've been off for two days. It's okay I've been doing other stuff, and I have some anticipated down time this week, hopefully I'll get through at least 5 more books.

After reading this first volume of collected plays by Edward Albee I have to say I think I've found my favorite play wright. He's a weird writer, and his work has much more behind it than a simple story, and I have so much to understand yet about his works. But I can say without a doubt I love most of it and I'm going to eagerly read Volumes 2 and 3 of his collected works, I am pretty sure at some point I'll purchase them as well (this is one of the books I rented from work).

This first volume has 8 plays in it. The zoo story, the death of bessie smith, the Sandbox, the american dream, who's afraid of virginia woolf?, the ballad of the sad cafe, tiny alice and malcom. I was most impressed with the ballad of the sad cafe which before Edward Albee turned it into a play was a novel by Carson McCullers (I have a feeling that's going to the first thing I'm going to read by McCullers since I haven't touched her work yet). It was actually pretty sad but it also blew me away. I read the sandbox and zoo story before but chose to read them again in going through this collection, I got much more from the zoo story than I did from the first read through. Tiny Alice and Malcolm were kind of curious, Tiny Alice more than Malcolm.

In short if you like reading plays and don't mind writing that's more than a story this is a great book to pick up and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment