Monday, November 21, 2011

Book 130 The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls


The Glass Castle: A Memoir
Kindle Edition
880 books to go!

Summary: Jeanette Walls writes an autobiographical memoir of her childhood. She writes about her dysfunctional family, about her life on the move as a child doing the "skedaddle", and how she overcame obstacles to make something of herself despite the fact that the odds were against her.

Opinion: This book was terrific. It was a shocking eye opener. I try not to complain about my life, although often I find myself complaining about some particular aspect of it that I'm unhappy with. After reading about how Ms. Walls lived as a child though I really shouldn't complain. My parents did the best they could for the four of us, my dad inspired and encouraged me to go to school and now because of that I have a decent job and a pretty good life.

Why I chose to read this: I sort of read half of this book a few years ago. I picked it up on playaway (playaways are mini players some libraries offer for rent that have one book pre loaded onto them). I always wanted to finish the book and one day I just picked up a copy to check out after a patron asked for a copy of the book.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment