Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Book 213 We were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates


We Were the Mulvaneys (Oprah's Book Club)
We Were the Mulvaneys - Kindle Edition

787 books to go! 

Summary:
This story is a before and after story about the rape of a young girl and the effects it has on her and her family.

Opinion:
I didn't really like this book all that much. I'm starting to think I might not be a Joyce Carol Oates fan in general, which semi disappoints me because I was really excited about reading her works. She is a good writer, I like that the stories I've read by her so far seem to have a before and after the horrific event aspect, but I don't really find them all that exciting, I find them to be boring and overly detailed. It's great how she gets into the head of every character as events happen, and gets into their thoughts after the event, but the overly detailed style and the ordinary painstaking events that go on for most of the book isn't my style.

Why I chose to read this: 
My friend Kate gave me this book a long time ago when she was cleaning out her book shelves. I intended to pass it on to my sister but for reasons of lightening my load because I don't have a car again right now I passed it to a co-worker when I was finished reading it because I had bought it on the train with me and finished it during a break.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment