Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book 116 - The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help Deluxe Edition

884 books to go!

I wasn't going to bother with this book, but the movie came out, and then I got curious because I want to eventually view the movie. So I borrowed the book from work and tore through it as fast as I possibly could once I got into it. Needless to say I'm one the many who enjoyed reading it, it's one of the best sellers available with lots of substance and intelligence to it. 

The novel semi-parallels the creation of a novel, within the novel. Set in Jackson, Mississippi during the early start of the civil rights movements, colored people are treated like they are diseased. The book chronicles a brief time period of a few colored maids and one white woman daring to change the situation and fight for their rights in their own way. Skeeter Phelan wants more than anything to be a writer, she believes that the colored help should be treated better and that things should change. Eventually she's able to land an interview with Abileen, followed by interviews with other maids (who were at first reluctant). The interviews eventually turn into a published novel that causes all sorts of happiness and trouble too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment