Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book 176 The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Kindle Edition

824 books to go!

Summary:
HeLa cells came from Henrietta Lacks. The cells were scraped from her when she had cervical cancer, they were grown in a lab and immortalized. Today her cancer cells still live and are used for research. This book details who Henrietta Lacks was and talks about her family.

Opinion:
This was a good read. It made me think how wrong it was for Henrietta's cells to be scraped and grown in a lab without her permission. So many scientists have made money off of these cells, and in my opinion it's very sad because her family hasn't benefited from this at all. This whole thing has actually made one of her daughters very sick. I give props and credit to Rebecca Skloot for talking to the family and at least providing a book about Henrietta.

Why I chose to read this:
I kept hearing about this book after it made the NYTs best seller list. Decided to pick it up for a bit of good non fiction besides the true crime that I'm addicted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment