Monday, May 30, 2011

Book 47 - The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones

953 books to go!

I read this novel a while ago when it first came out, but I decided to re-read it as well as reading another Alice Sebold novel I found while stumbling across both of them when helping a patron at the library.

I do not regret this re-read at all, this novel is stunning, very beautiful, and extremely heartwarming. The story blew me away, had me enchanted and spellbound turning the pages one by one anxious to know what would happen.

The lovely bones is the story of Susie Salmon. Susie is murdered while she is 14. The story starts when Susie is in heaven, it's told from her point of view as she watches her family and her killer on earth. Alice Sebold's idea of heaven for this book is extremely interesting, the beginning is a little hard to take as her murder is partially described, but after that while Susie watches her family and tells the story, the book is quite amazing.

In my opinion this book is worth reading, I think I shall check out the movie as well, although in most cases I find the book to be much better than it's film counterpart.

2 comments:

  1. So I read this book last week and I really liked the way the story is told. I wish death could be that simple, that there is our own personal heaven waiting for us. If we all knew this, I think there would be no fear in dying and we wouldn't grieve as much knowing for sure our loved ones were in a good place.

    I didn't know this was made into a movie. Have you seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the wish for death to be as simple as this. It would be nice to have your happier moments on earth or what you wanted but maybe never got to be available to you in your own heaven.

    I haven't seen the movie I have a digital version around just haven't sat down to see it yet.

    ReplyDelete