Saturday, January 22, 2011

Book 2 - Starvation Heights

Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest
Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest

998 more books to go!

I found this book in Borders a few months ago, so I borrowed it from the library to read. I have an interest in true crime and although these tales can be disturbing, I do like to read them, I like to follow the author's account of the crimes, read about the trial, try to understand the criminal mind (although I still do not) and read about what happens to these criminals (always hoping that they will get what they deserve).

This book blew me away. Gregg Olsen is on par with Ann Rule regarding true crime authorship. He is the only true crime author who seems to have pleased me with his writing and story telling, usually I do not absolutely love a true crime novel unless it is Ann Rule quality. Mr. Olsen's book most definitely is.

With his writing, Gregg Olsen takes the reader back in time to the early 1900s to read about Claire and Dora Williamson as they journey to Ollala, Washington to embark on a supposed "fasting cure", given by quack Dr. Linda Burfield Hazzard. It's sick to read about the fate that befalls upon these two women as well as other victims of Hazzard's fasting cure and about her evil plan to starve wealthy people and try to gain access to their money and property.

This read may seem long and detailed but it's worth it, it's quite educational and I will recommend it for lovers of the true crime genre. I also think all the great true crime writers reside in Washington, coincidentally both Ann Rule and Gregg Olsen live in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment