Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Books 297, 298, and 299 Lucky, Gorgeous and Brilliant by Rachel Vail









Lucky (Avery Sisters Trilogy)



Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy)



Brilliant (Avery Sisters Trilogy) 

703, 702 and 701 books to go!

Normally I don't opt to put together a trilogy or a series in one entry, but even though this is a short YA series I had a few things to say about it and the way the author wrote all three books I felt that one entry should merge all of them.

This is a trilogy featuring three Avery sisters, Phoebe (who is the main character in Lucky - the first of the trilogy), Allison (the main character in Gorgeous - the second of the trilogy), and Quinn (the main character of Brilliant - the conclusion to the trilogy). Phoebe is the youngest, Allison is the middle child, and Quinn is the oldest child. Basically throughout the entire trilogy the girls are faced with the fact that their mom pulled a quasi Bernie Madoff sans a ponzi scheme and now their mom is jobless. The problem is her job was where the money was coming from for their big house, a Porsche  vacations in Paris, Piano and tennis lessons plus many other luxuries. The girls have to face their economic losses as well as a few other obstacles in each novel.

At first I thought I wasn't going to like these books, I thought they were going to be about spoiled rich kids and I wasn't going to be able to stand it but I kept reading on and actually became wrapped up in them. Rachel Vail also did a great job in putting together this trilogy and making it flow, although the way she worked it didn't make sense until I got to the last novel. Phoebe begins the story in Lucky, Allison recaps Phoebe's story through her viewpoint and makes the story continue, Quinn finishes up the events of the story. So she worked it with the youngest starting, the middle child picking up in the beginning and continuing onto the end, and the oldest child wrapping things up. Good technique that I haven't seen before in anything I read yet.

Pretty nice for YAs and adults too!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment